Thursday, May 31, 2012

selenas final free form shelf project


I felt that this project was a milestone for me because I got it done on time, and chose a project that was completely out of my comfort zone for me allowing me to experiment with power tools and furniture design. The reason I choose to do something of that nature is purely for fun and because I wanted to prepare my self for my summer workshop at RISD. I've always been fascinated with geometric designs and 3D artwork and I thought that this project was absolutely irresistible. I created this piece using ________ instead of using plywood purely because it was cheaper and it seemed smoother, giving off a cleaner finish. I got inspiration from a book that was given to me and in that book it gave certain measurements on how to achieve the design. When looking at the picture you would think this looks very difficult to achieve however it is simply made out of a variety of triangular pieces of two separate sizes that are fit together with groves cut into each other and zip ties to secure them. All you do is repeat your tenique and you get a cascading geometric shelf. I had quite a bit of trouble dealing with applying a finish to the boards and having them come out half way decent looking however I discovered if I use a primer before it greatly improved the quality of the finish. Some success was finally being able to use power tools such as a power saw and a drill press in order to obtain a more perfect result as well as experimenting with countersinking. The mediums i used was _______ board because it was cheaper then ply wood, primer to achieve a higher quality look, black glossy finish to symbolize a futuristic modern look, and stainless steel zip ties to give it a sleek clean look. Although there is no parttern because the color scheme is esientally all black I think the visual depth(or depth of feild) of it protruding off the wall and going back is very interesting




Grade Defense

I was resourceful because I used power tools to speed up the process, utilized my dads metals and power tools skills to teach me some new techniques and chose a project that I had already started on my own time, thus giving me a little bit of a head start so I was able to turn it in on time. I used intellectual curiosity in the project by deciding to try to create my own design and come up with something new rather then the deign presented in the book. This piece I think reflects my work this year by expressing my experimentation with new mediums and techniques for example. My lips painting I used oil painting that was a completely new medium for me use and also the maps girl was another challenge using everything out of paper!  

No comments:

Post a Comment