Thursday, May 31, 2012

Paper Cutouts


My ratios of inspiration is Kara Walker.  She is a modern day artist who used paper cut outs to make beautiful pictures.  She was born in 1969 in Stockton California.  Her artwork inspires me because even though it is back and white silhouettes, you can clearly see the picture that she is trying to form and there is a distinct depth of field..  She sticks too a strict color scheme of black and white paper.  I had never heard of paper cutout art before and I really like the idea.  Her artwork is very balanced.  Even though the black paper in her ratios dominant, there is a very good sense of balance to each piece of art.He art represents resourcefulness because she went outside of her comfort zone of painting and printmaking and explored other materials and new techniques of art.  I really like how detailed and whimsical her art is.  She has lots of variety in her art: from landscapes, to symmetrical ballerinas.  I used that variety in my two pieces of art.  I went from a very basic picture of a little girl and a dog in a wagon, to a very detailed image of a young couple under a tree. 



I was resourceful when completing my piece by searching for many artists on the internet, finding two completely different pictures and putting them together, and trying out different ways to cut the paper.  I used intellectual curiosity when I was looking for artists to model my art after.  Most of the artists I saw where photographers and I wanted to do something different and unique so I looked up Kara Walker.  This project represents the quality of my work that I completed this year because I sampled different techniques and planned my idea before starting to make the piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment