Thursday, May 31, 2012

Savanah Stuart's Public Art (Not the picture of actual artwork)


For my public art piece I was inspired by the picture above.  This piece was done on an abandoned building.  To make the mixture, the following ingredients were mixed in a blender: moss, water retention gel, buttermilk, water, and a small amount of plant food.  After the mixture is fully mixed you apply it to the wall or area of your choice.  I chose to do my piece on a large cork-board after looking through all the readily available materials.  I decided that I wanted to use the word "prosper" for my moss graffiti.  I thought that this word perfectly fit the scenario the moss was growing in.  Moss obviously does not naturally grow on cork-boards, but with the right tools it can 'prosper' and defy normal standards.  I really wanted people to apply this to their own personal lives, but unfortunately my piece did not hold up.  Before I was able to properly photograph it, the mixture had dried up.  I believe that this occurred because of a high exposure of sunlight.  Over the summer I hope to try this project again with better results.  I think that if the moss is in a more shaded area and constantly moist, it will successfully grow.  I was inspired by the unnatural growth of the moss on the building above and I hope that in the future I can inspire others with the same project like this piece inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment