Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Public Art by Holly Pettis



   
My project is a flyer/sticker that has flowers on it which are in black and it has a gun which is in the flowers and the gun is hot pink. I really wanted to make a bold statement using these two colors in my piece because I wanted it to be simple, yet have an ironic sort of impact on people. Usually flowers are pink, not a gun. I wrote “Pretty?” on the gun to ask people whether or not they think violence is pretty like flowers or a corruption to society like the gun corrupted the once beautiful flowers which are colored black. Since I was unable to put my pieces up myself, I would assume that my pieces would make people stop to think or say “wow!” that is bold and makes you think twice before being violent to others. I think putting my piece up would be a little thrilling since I have never spoken out about violence. I am shy and tend not to make bold statements, but with my art I think I am able to capture and make bold statements that may question society. I used just paper and markers to create this drawing it is simple yet has a bold statement to it which was what I was going for. The piece was put in a phone booth which was an interesting spot to place it because I think that people when on the phone do get distracted by things and my sticker is a great distraction to them. The piece interacts with the space because it is out where people can see it and stop to think about it. I think that I could improve this by making it an actual sticker instead of a paper with tape on the back. I think a real sticker would have been more fun and I could have handed them out to people on the streets. Overall I like my piece I just wish I could have made it a real sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment