Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Julia Chuang's Collage+Paint Project: "Lotus Flower"



"Lotus Flower"
By Julia Chuang

My piece, titled "Lotus Flower" was part collage and part painting. To make this, I used paint, newspaper, water (to make the wash), and mode podge (clear glue). I added depth with the lily in the corner as the foreground, the second lily and the lotus flower as the middle ground, and the last lily as the background. The water surrounds the piece. My collage has a clear color scheme. I mixed all the colors that I used. The water has a value shift to create depth and perspective. My piece is balanced because I used collage and painting: the flower, water, and reflections were painted, while the lilies were collaged. The newspaper helps the lilies stand out and the way I painted the flower helps it stand out as well. Everything comes together to create balance and harmony. I considered texture in my piece to create the smoothness of the water, the soft lines made with newspaper and the green wash, the round smoothness of the petals, and the small lines to create the texture in the middle of the flower. My artwork was patiently done. I even came after school a couple times so I could finish my piece on time. I went through several ideas before I chose and perfected the Lotus flower idea. My hard work paid off in “Lotus Flower.”

No comments:

Post a Comment