Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Aquamarine The Mermaid

In me pieces titled “Aqua The Mermaid” I used detail to accent the shading of her body. The mermaid is in the foreground and she is emphasized through the detail in her collaged tail and the glitter on both her tail and top catch your eye. In the middle ground are the rocks. They are made up of different fabric ranging in texture and color from light to dark. The background is the simplest component of the piece made up of abstract colors of blue and green paper to give the illusion of flowing water. To create color value I paid close attention to the way the light would be coming from the top of the canvas. I made sure to add color value to the picture. I used iridescent paper on her tail to make it look like scales. I created balance in my piece through collage. Aqua herself is painted but her top and tail are collaged. The rocks are collaged. The background is mostly painted with small pits of paper to make it pop. All of these elements create a smooth and eye pleasing project. For the rocks I used fabric and wallpaper samples to create a natural, rough looking texture. I put wavy lines in the water to simulate a moving current. I made a sketch at the beginning, which was my “test subject”, and I made a down sized version of my piece. I also I experimented with the color of her skin on poster board until I got the right color tone. The water has many hues in it that makes it look stunning. My hard work paid off in this piece.     

No comments:

Post a Comment