Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Allie's Collage Project "Calla Lily in Bloom"


My piece is a close-up of a quite popular flower called a calla lily. For inspiration I looked at the vibrant pictures of flowers painted by Vincent van Gogh. It is dynamic because it shows the varying levels of shading seen if one were to look right at a calla lily in real life. Though it focuses on the head of the flower, it also includes the stem wrapping up the side of it. The stigma and the bright green stem stand out because of the texture and bright colouring contrasting with the white of the body of the flower. The background is a dark, purple-blue which seems to be swarming around the flower, caressing its petals with the somber shade of night. Most of the picture is painted, but the details, i.e. the stem and the sigma, pop out because I collaged them. The collage consists not only of flat paper and gives the piece life. The texture really gives it life. The collaged parts have various shades of colour in them. I worked very hard on this piece and revised it several times before I executed the final details. I feel that the piece demonstrates just how hard I worked on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment