Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Savanah Stuart's Final Art Project & Grade Defense


Grade Defense:
During this project, I should my ability to be resourceful by first off finding this picture on Instagram.  I stumbled upon a very similar piece that looked like it had been made on Photoshop and I instantly new that I wanted to recreate the piece.  I chose a different picture to base my paint-by-numbers on, but the overall concept is the same.  I was also resourceful by using Christy as a resource when trying to figure out how I could best translate the picture of the tiger cub into sections for the paint-by-number idea.  While I was completing this project, I used intellectual curiosity to come up with different ways on how to execute my project.  From the beginning I was very excited to complete this project.  I really wanted to to complete this project to the best of my ability and that pushed me to put in a lot of effort into my piece.  I didn't want to do a final project just to do one, but rather because I was very excited to try something new and less detail-oriented.  I would say that this piece represents the quality of my work because I put in a lot of hours outside of school to complete this project.  For most of my pieces, I had to spend extra hours outside of school to complete them.  I am very aware of details and I usually pick very realistic pictures to convey into my art.  This last project was my first 'real' abstract painting this year.  Overall I am very happy with all of the pieces I produced in Art Class this year.

Final:
As mentioned above, my inspiration for my final project came off a picture I found on Instagram.  A celebrity had posted a picture of a piece of art she saw in New York.  Once I saw the piece, I immediately fell in love with it's creativity, color, and variety.  I had never seen an abstract paint-by-numbers like this one.  In order to create this piece on my own, I first needed to find a picture that I wanted to use for my piece.  After searching for what seemed like forever, I finally found a picture of a tiger cub that I really liked.  The inspiration piece was also a tiger, and I picked a tiger as well because it was the perfect animal to use when trying to section off the picture.  All the stripes made it perfect to add color and provided a perfect layout for my paint-by-numbers.  Overall this piece was very easy to work on since I didn't have any reference picture.  I had the creative freedom to use whatever colors that I wanted and add whatever I felt was necessary at the time.  My piece has a lot of repetition of bright colors, using primary colors, secondary colors, and everything in between.  I wanted to make the piece more abstract by adding unrealistic colors to the sections.  The big sections of color dominate the the piece and immediately draw your eye to the painting.  Unlike the original inspiration piece, I painted my piece using acrylic paint.  I also used Sharpie for the outlining of all the sections.  I didn't use too much gradation, but in some sections, such as the nose, I added gradation to add some more variety in the piece.  Overall I am very happy with my finished project and I am very glad that I chose to end the year on a piece that I loved creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment